Indian Embroidery Video tutorials

Hi everyone,
Iam back again after a small lull. The days are passing by so fast and my stitching has been reduced to almost zero. Yesterday - I managed to get my right hand index and middle fingers cut(barely escaped from getting chopped off completely) in a running mixer/blender.Don't ask me how. It just happened and Iam not even able to explain.
An hour after that, we were trying to chase away a huge (and I mean HUGE,probably the leader of the pack) monkey from our hall.There were four of us - producing different sounds (shoo,choo,boo,eeee..) and he was standing there looking at us as if he had come to a zoo and watching human monkeys in action.After a bit of effort from our side,he left as coolly as he had come. Five minutes later, we heard someone screaming 'GET OUT' from a nearby apartment. My BIL then remarked, had we known that he knew English we could've just told him to 'please go away' rather than making all those sounds!!!
Well, the injury has put on hold my stitching for a few more days,but I do hope to pick it up slowly atleast towards the end of this week.
So, if no stitching,why am I writing this post?
The answer is ,to lead you to a bunch of videos on Indian embroidery!! :)
Couple of days back when Sarita J mailed me a link to a video about chikan work,I was curious. I went over and had a look - and then, just couldn't stop looking for some time . Starting from stitch 1- Janjira motif of chickankari , Mridula's school of embroidery has uploaded about 203 videos covering not only Chikan work,but other Indian embroidery methods like Phulkari, Kantha, Kutch, Kashmiri, Kasuti etc. Additionally there are plenty of freestyle embroidery stitch videos too. So, girls, if you want to see Indian embroidery in action go and have a look.
Mridula Nagarajan is well known across South India for her embroidery classes run through the Mridulas school of embroidery and fashion design for over 30 years. And it is not often that we get to see videos of Indian embroidery methods posted by the master herself. Here's the link to the complete list of video tutorials by Mridula's School. Thank you Sarita, for this great piece of information.
Hope you all enjoy watching and learning from the tutorials, Update Feb 8th 2012 : The videos listed in the link above have been removed by the owners. So the links may not work. Will keep you posted in case there are some new videos uploaded.
Love,luck and sunshine,
Deepa

Comments

  1. still haven't really watched them,
    but i wanted to thank you for publishing this great resource!
    take care of your battered finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your fingers soon heal, these things happen so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adventorous day!!And where these monkeys come from???I am curious :D
    and thanks for the tutorial link..great info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I hope you can stitch again soon. Thanks for sharing those links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pointing us to those great videos, Deepa! Hope you are able to get back into stitching real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi..I'm visiting your blog for the first time..you've got ome very interesting articles posted, I'll be definitely checking out those embroidery tutorial videos soon.

    Your monkey story was so funny.. reminds me of the time when we were vacationing in Matheran and the gigantic leader of the pack of monkeys went into our room as soon as we stepped out of it,obvously to get hold of any of our foodstuff...all of us started started screaming, me and my siblings, my parents, my aunt even moreso since our meek uncle was stll in the room...we were astonished a few moments later to see the monkey rushing out with my uncle chasing it with a shopping bag. That has been the only glimpse of bravery we've ever seen in all these years...heh heh...Thanks for the links to the video tutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo Deepa... hand sounds sore! Very inconvenient in indeed! Hope it heals very soon. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Deepa, thanks for the links! I will watch the videos over the week-end, I need some quiet time all for myself.
    Hope your fingers mend quickly, how frustrating not being able to emroider.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry you hurt your fingers and hope they mend quickly.

    Thank you for sharing the great videos on Indian stitching. Just what I needed. I would like to try Kantha work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry to hear abt your accident:( I hope it's less serious than you make it sound:)

    "please go away" might not have worked, there's a bit of a difference between that and "GET OUT":D

    Thanks for the links, I'll check them out soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for posting these links. A great source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what?! A monkey? seriously, that is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for the Mridulas embroidery.It will really be very useful for anybody who is interested in embroidery.Nice that you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi !

    I couldn't watch the videos in utube. Any suggestions as to what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shypetal,
    I think those videos have been removed from public view. There's nothing I can do about it as they are not mine ,sorry :(

    Regards,
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment