Learn a stitch-Knotted chain stitch,a Tutorial

I came across the knotted chain stitch while looking around for a new stitch for outlining. It looked like a good stitch for decorative lines and borders. But different sites had different interpretations for the same stitch . The Wikipedia showed the stitch this way :-

On the other hand, artsanddesigns had a slightly different version. This stitch is also known by the name of link stitch and I think the above picture justifies the name.

The arrow points towards the original stitch as shown in Wiki. Click on the photograph for a better view. If the knots are placed slightly far apart or pulled a little tight , we get the other variations.Have a look at the close up below.



Let us see how a knotted chain stitch is made :

Step 1 : Come up at a point A on the reference line. This stitch is worked from right to left.




Step 2: Insert the needle at a point B above the line and come out at the point C. Make sure that the gap between B and C is not too large. If it is too long, the knot will have two legs jutting out .



Step 3: Pull through to make the base stitch.


Step 4: Now starts the knotting part. Pass the needle through the base stitch from B to C ,without piercing the fabric.



Step 5: Pull through- but not completely, to form a small loop.



Step 6: Now pass the needle again in the same direction (B to C ) but this time through the loop only .Do not pass through the foundation stitch.

Step 7: Pull and you have completed the first knotted chain.The knot formed depends on how you pull. It takes a bit of practice to form even loops


Step 8: Repeat from step 2 to continue.



In the next post ,I'll show you where I've used this stitch. I hope the steps are clear enough for you to try. I've used it for outlining, but are there other possibilities?

Till the next post,
Love,luck and sunshine,
Deepa

Comments

  1. Very clear step by step instructions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deepa I am from Brazil, Muzambinho, Minas Gerais and I really happy for your sharing, about the stitches, and your beautiful work, so inspiring.

    I am learning to hold a niddle....

    Thank you
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial Deepa - I'm going to have to try this stitch...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your tutorials are always so tempting!:) I'd pick up the embroidery needle, but there's so much unfinished business in my studio:( getting ready to make a tute myself, I can appreciate a well explained one with such clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely new stitch, I may attempt it on my next 'creation'! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deepa for showing the stitch so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is something new to me deepa:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deepa..
    Here is another thing for me to learn. I know a lot of stitches but this one is different. I will use it sometime in my work. Thanks Deepa. Very appreciated lesson.
    Laurette

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the clearest instructions I have seen! Thank you so much for sharing your skills and passion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment